Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

18 December 2008

Curiosity Killed the Cat.....

Not literally, we don't have a cat. But I'm going to be a little nosy today.

Tonight I am taking miss Caroline to pick out what she wants to get for her dad and Tab for Christmas. This is basically a "tradition" I have with her anytime we need to get a gift "from" her to someone else. My mom always just told me what I was getting for my dad, friends, or whoever. But I am one of those people that I want to receive what someone wants to get me, not what they are told to get me.

A perfect example would be my wedding shower. You know, we register for what we want, but people might not want to buy those things. A dear friend's mom knew what she wanted to get me regardless of what I wanted, and she did. The best part about it was when I opened her gift, she had gotten me several pieces of Fiesta Ware {which I love and collect}, and I think it was probably one of my most favorite gifts.

All this to say, that I love seeing what Caroline has in mind for her present picking. And no matter how silly it is, I buy it. That's the beauty of it, she gave something she really wanted to give. Last year for Christmas, she picked out UT Longhorn PJ pants for her dad, and for Tab she picked a Calendar. She said that her dad needed bigger pj's, and Tab always rights down things on our calendar, so she thought they needed new ones, which personally I think is super sweet! For Father's Day, she wanted to get Tab a Ninja Turtle, so they could play together. For Mother's Day, she wanted to get a Princess Wand for her grandma. For me, I have a James Avery charm bracelet, and I love getting new charms, so she had both her "dads" take her to get me charms. I got a horse and a Christmas tree. Where the horse came from, I have no clue, but I have such a wonderful memory knowing she wanted me to have it!


Now the curiosity part.....

How do you handle taking your kids to pick out gifts?
And what are some they have picked {if they pick them ;)}?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always took the kids Christmas shopping. I would try and steer them in the right direction. They had spending limits. They bought for the whole family. Ronnie always shopped and shopped. He needed just the right gift and it had to be pretty. Tracy just wanted to buy something and go to toys. She was done in 5 minutes and Ronnie took 2 hours. I cant remember anything they bought but it was always an interesting outing. Lots of fun and some frustration if Ronnie couldnt fine that perfect gift for Auntie or Grandma or anyone. Wonderful memories. Mary Lou

Kellye Bug said...

Well, Brilye has only picked out one thing, and it was a super-soft white bunny that she put in her mouth at Dillard's... I couldn't rip it out of her hands.... it was too cute!

kb