Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

24 June 2009

My Views, My Life, My Family

I am finally emerging again, and probably only because I am home sick again today. I have apparently caught a bug, and can't venture too far, so it has given me plenty of time for reflection and thought.

Hopefully after this post, I will be back to my normal self and can resume posting quirky things about Caroline and silly pictures, but for today, I am going to say a few things on a more serious level.

Thank you to all of you who have been thinking of us and praying for us. What a comfort!

I'm sure that with as cryptic as my last post was, many of you are a little curious, and that's okay, we're human, and we like to know what's going on...otherwise, why would we read blogs? As of late yesterday afternoon, things for us changed for the better! Finally!

I have never been one of those overprotective moms...I don't run to Boog when she falls down, I don't baby her, and I talk pretty straight to her; I didn't do baby talk. But, I have been very picky about the things she sees, plays with, who's care she's in. There are certain people I don't let her ride in a car with, definitly no Bratz toys, and I don't let her just go to play with anyone that asks. There are certain people that I trust implicitly when it comes to Caroline. Now even that has changed.

I always thought I was a great judge of character, maybe I'm not. I've learned my lesson, and I guess now I will be overbearing about certain things pertaining to my sweet little girl.

Caroline has always been a pretty good kid. Her biggest problem is talking...non-stop. I know, I know, she gets it from me. But, she has never been a mean little girl, she shares really well {especially for being an only child}, she is very thoughtful, so I am a little easy on her when it comes to discipline. She does get time out, a pop on the bootie, and toys taken away...I just let her push and I don't stick to the guidelines I give her. It's hard to be tough on your kids sometimes. Bottom line, she is very honest, blunt, knows right from wrong, and knows when and why she is in trouble.

Some of the things that have gone on over the past week have implicated her in a totally different light, as well as another child who is extremely well behaved, and comes from a super family with lots of love, and a strong Christian foundation. Not that this means this child is perfect, because clearly, we know no one is. But given the raising of this child, I feel strongly about the behavior that was called into question.

A case was opened concerning Caroline and another child, and what is so amusing to me about it was that the family that opened the case only knows Caroline, not the other child/family. And what makes the whole thing even more bizarre is that so many of the things we were told by the family who did this make no sense, and point more to an issue with their child. The stories are conflicting from what Caroline tells me, so what am I supposed to do? Believe another family who is telling me stuff 2nd and 3rd hand, or my own child? What makes it more frustrating is that is the same point the family tried to make to us. What do you do? Call their child a liar? That is what has been the hardest to deal with in this whole thing. Caroline and this child were caught doing things they should not have been doing, and the biggest question for both of the families was who taught them? Not us, not them, so they blamed the other child. Crazy.

What gives me comfort is that after several long, long conversations with professionals, they case was closed! Which proves there was no wrong doing on our endor the other parents, or on the parts of the two children. Hallejuah! I just felt such a relief wash over me yesterday afternoon when I got the news!

Now I am torn. I have a lot of anger for this other family, but also some concern. Is it that child who really needs help? Is that child the one who taught Caroline bad things? Are those parents too jaded to even accept the possibility that this child needs help? They completely left out their childs actions when they filed the report. They completely blamed Caroline and another child, totally refusing to believe that their child could be the root cause of this. We were told by professionals that this child was crying out. What does this mean for them? They tried to make us feel inferior by saying that they were going to get their child help because of what mine did, and I was stupid because I thought this was no big deal.

Totally wrong. What they refused to listen to was that we had already made appointments for Caroline to see someone. We talked with professionals about the situation, and they confirmed what we thought, it was nothing to get all worked up about, but could be cause for concern. When we told the other family that, they had the nerve to tell us that whoever we talked to should basically be fired because they were stupid. Are people so stubborn that they refuse to admit they might be wrong? That only they can be right?

Caroline is going to see someone. We hope to minimize any effects this may have on her, as well as hopefully get to the bottom of the whole thing. Poor girl was questioned by a police officer who was acting in a capacity they knew nothing about, without my consent, or my presence, and informing me well after the fact. What is wrong with people? They should tend to their own families and accept responsibility for them instead of worrying about others and making claims against them. I could make the same claims, I could file charges for the questioning of Caroline. But we are NOT going to bust into other peoples lives. All I can do is pray that this family can see that there was wrong in what they did, and that they too get help for their child.

I can say this: If after Caroline has seen her therapist, and they let us know that Caroline was in fact part of the problem, then I will go to the other family and let them know we are sorry for what happened. Until then, I have to believe my child. And I understand that they have to believe theirs. I respect that. What I can't respect is that they have no intention of even entertaining the thought that their child may be the problem. There have been signs that point to this child needing some help working through things. There is nothing wrong or bad about that, but this family must think there is if they won't even admit the possibility. At least I can. Caroline has never been anything other than a happy thriving little girl. She has never had any behavioral problems other than talk, talk, talking, and occasionally being whiny. Her teachers have never had anything other than that to say about her, which leaves me to believe she is a normal, happy, healthy, thriving 6 yr. old little girl. Regardless of the outcome, we have made the decision that we can no longer trust these people with Caroline's well being. She won't be allowed to play with that child anymore, which is really sad since they are good friends, but we have to do what is best for Boog, and for us, this is our choice.

On another note...Caroline had her blood counts done last Monday...280!!!!! Woo Hoo!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Well handled mom!

Something you said struck me, that I hope may be a comfort. The other parents said they were going to get their child help to deal with what they think Caroline did or did not do. God may be using little Caroline to help this little girl. If the harshness of this situation results in that little girl getting help, even if her parents are going into it with the wrong reasons, then Praise God! Maybe the little girl will get the help she needs.

God will use all things for His good. And Caroline will be stronger in the process.

Hey .. I'm heading to Dallas 8/14-8/16 to meet up with Jen at Frugal Fabulous and some others. Join me!!! I'm taking my 14 and 3 year old daughters.

The Drama Mama said...

Gosh, Alicia!!! I am so sorry you have had to deal with this! I have been praying for you! I hate to hear about this kind of stuff, but one thing that came to mind was, "welcome to the next 12 years of life", right?! I am sure we will all experience something like this in the 18 years of our children's lives...although I pray we never have to! It seems that you handled everything wonderfully and HE took care of the rest. Still praying, friend! Much love & HUGS!!

The Drama Mama said...

♥ AND I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER VERY SOON!!! ♥

tessa said...

Aww, chica, I am so sorry for all of the insanity that has enveloped your family in the past few days. I can only imagine what they must be like. I'm hoping and praying that everything falls into place and that peace finds it's way to your door.