Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

07 April 2009

Hairy Frustrations

Okay people...time for some tips...please. Do any of you have a sweet, adorable little girl who loves to chew/suck on her hair?

I do. And I hate it. And I can't seem to do anything to get her to stop.

I completely lost my patience with her this weekend. I have been telling her for days to get her hair out of her mouth. Nope. I turn around, and she does it again. So, Saturday, Avery & Amy were over while the men were working on the back part of our land {another story later} and the girls were picking up in Boog's room. I saw her once with her hair in her mouth and told her to quit. A few minutes later, you guessed it...again. When I saw her for the 4th time, I quietly left her room, went to my bathroom, got my hair scissors. I nonchalantly walked in her room took her hair out of her mouth, and whacked it off. She just looked at me like I was crazy.

And, yes, at that moment, it was a little crazy of me to do, but I thought I needed something drastic to make her stop putting her hair in her mouth.

So, after they finished picking up, I got Boog in the tub to wash her hair. Then I cut it all off. I am not a happy mommy. I don't want to have to keep cutting her hair every time it gets long enough for her to get it in her mouth! But I have run out of ideas. I tried fixing her hair, cute bows & headbands. Keeping it pulled up out of her face, until she gets to school and takes it down. I give up. Unless of course, someone could pass on some wisdom to this overly frustrated mommy of the insistent-hair-has-to-be-in-her-mouth little girl. Until then, she gets to look like this.

4 comments:

Shorty said...

I feel for you and her. Bad habits are hard to break sometimes. I had the same problem with biting my nails when I was younger. My dad made a bet with me that if I would stop biting my nails, he would stop smoking. Consequently, I quit biting my nails but he never stopped smoking. Now what's my bad habit? Picking my cuticles and any dry skin I have on my fingers. It's a gross habit and so hard for me to break. When I've got my nails painted I tend to leave them alone. But who has time to paint their nails all the time??? Not this cat.

I guess all I can suggest is try the bet option. You pick one of your bad habits and tell her you'll stop if she'll stop her bad habit. Then you'll both be looking out for each other. And, when she catches herself sucking on her hair she might be more quick to stop since she knows she's got to call you out on your goofs, too.

Anonymous said...

just keep it pulled up so she can't instintively chew on it... it may be a nervous habit, like your blankie.

kb

Unknown said...

Your dad and I think it looks much better short so we think you should just keep it that way. Looks cute and not so frustrating for you. Everyone wins. Easy fix.

Earth Mama Sarah said...

reverse psychology? act like you don't care, tell her you'll just let her see what happens when she chews her hair off? that you don't want her to stop? also, tea tree oil tastes terrible, maybe put some of that on the hair she can reach..... good luck! miss you momma.