Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

09 March 2009

I'm a Very Sad Mama

I know I should enjoy the time I have to myself....I really should, but I just can't. Over these last few years, friends have tried to encourage me to enjoy my kid-free time. Some days I can, but most of the time...I'm pathetic.

Let me put it to you this way. I am the type of parent that hates getting a babysitter, unless its for a special occasion, or another equally good reason. I know I may be starting a fire here, but for me, I didn't want to have kids just to have someone else watch them. I already have less time with her from having to work, and now because she has started school. So for me, I hate to have a babysitter, and therefore we usually won't go places where Caroline is less than welcome. Now that doesn't happen often, basically just on special occasions, which are rare enough anyway.

I'm sure if I stayed at home full-time, I may want more time without her glued to me. But, I'm not, so I like having her around...most of the time!

Unfortunately, her father and I divorced 3 years ago. Of course this is a whole other issue, but I tell you this because it explains my kid-free time. Her dad lives north of where we live, because that's where we both are from. I moved south because my family moved south. I will not say any bad things about the situation, other than he doesn't get to see her as often as he should. Part by choice, and part because of work. He doesn't want to take her away from things she has going on down here, so some of his weekends are lost. But don't think that I just leave it at that, I offer him anytime he wants to spend with her. For the most part, it works well. 90% of the time, we make plans with our friends to do grown-up things while she is with her dad, so thus I have even more strong feelings about having a babysitter. I have one on certain weekends.

After a huge miscommunication, he decided that he wanted her for the week of Spring Break. Which is great! She gets to spend much needed time with her dad. But he stinks at making plans, and lets me know Friday night at 8pm that he wants to get her. And he's not sure when he can come get her. But the best part is that he only has off 3 days of this week, so he was going to bring her back on Thursday. Again, fine, but I refuse to pay 88 bucks for 2 days of daycare. Not going to happen. So after me calling my best friend, Michelle, who still lives there, she will be staying the whole week and getting to spend some time with Michelle and her kiddos.

And now that I have totally gone off subject, I will finally get back to my point. I miss Boog.

I know, I know. I work all day anyway. But there won't be any picking her up in the afternoons, bathtime, hair brushing, or kisses. No kitchen helper. I'll admit, it will be nice to not hear her begging for me to do every little thing for her for a few days, but I'll be sad just the same. I won't have my nightly prayer over her, sweet morning smiles, and her infectious giggle to keep me company.




I am pathetic. Really I am. I can live with the weekend thing, it's the week thing I hate. And in the summer, it's 42 days because we live more than 100 miles apart...but he's moved closer, and he's under that 100 miles, so...it will only be 30 this summer! WooHoo! Can you tell I plan ahead?

No comments: