Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

07 June 2011

Getting Inked

I came across the simplest tattoo I've ever seen.  Simple, to the point, feminine, stunning really.  I know many of you aren't "tat" people, but I am.  And even if you aren't, most people can still appreciate the beauty in some of them.


Then as I was perusing her tattoo related posts, I found this beauty



I happen to love tattoos.  Everything about them.  The art, the meaning, the story.  Most people have a journey that led them to get a certain tat.  Not everyone does, but I think you'll find that most people do.  My hubby however, says that his are just because he likes them.  Which is probably true for him.  But mine, oh no...mine have a specific meaning.

I have 4 tattoos.  All at very different times in my life.  All very specific times.  Each one signifies a journey.  I got my very first tat when I was 22.


For me this sun represented a new beginning...moving out of the only home I'd ever known, putting on my big girl panties and living in an apartment.  No more parental support.  I moved in with a friend, and as soon as we moved my stuff in, we headed to Galveston to celebrate!  
The sun represented the light showing me my way.  
The placement for this one is lower back {before the whole "tramp stamp" fad}.


I went years without getting another one.  Mostly because my mom made me feel guilty that I'd gotten one in the first place.  She was not a tattoo girl AT ALL.

Six years later I found myself moving 100 miles away from everything I'd ever known to make a better life for my daughter.  When I felt settled, I wanted to remember that time in my life, so I got another tattoo.


Sunflowers have always been my favorite flower, and I felt like my life was finally blossoming, so what better way to remember that than a sunflower.  And the foot placement was because I was taking each day one step at a time.

My third came a year later in memory of my mother.  She passed away in 2001.


This one didn't turn out quite the way I expected, which is my own fault.  I let a friend of a friend do this one.  I did want it to be a thick tattoo, mimicking a henna tattoo, but parts of it are too thick and running together.  And the artist went too deep, causing raised spots in the work.  The butterfly represents eternal life, it's on my right shoulder.  I wanted to have my mom always there with me.  Watching over me, "having my back", looking down on my heart.  I just wish I'd been a little pickier with the artist I chose for this one.

And the latest was 3 years ago.  And probably by far the most meaningful thing to get inked.


My precious daughter's name.  This one was a no brainer.  I wanted the script to be fun, bubbly, funky, cock-eyed and cute.  Everything that makes up my daughter's personality!  I wanted it on my wrist so I could always see it.  And of course the two simple hearts intertwined represent the two of us.

Do I plan on getting more?  You bet!  Just give me time and money.  I'd love to have tons more, to many people's dismay I'm sure, but hey, it's my body right?  What about you?  Do you have any tats and what are your stories behind them?


No comments: