Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

21 July 2009

Southern Style - Recipes

Well, this one is kind of tough! I have too many good recipes! Okay so I'm a southern girl, and my momma didn't cook from a box, it was all from scratch, so I make just about everything from scratch. Your gonna get 2 recipes out of me today...One for the hubby {his favorite}, and one for Boog.


Alicia's Famous Green Beans
{Husband's Favorite...this is what he calls them...so sweet!}

1/2 lb. Fresh green beans, washed and snapped
1 1/2 sticks of butter
5 pieces crispy cooked bacon, broken up
1 tbsp. Lawry's season salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp garlic
2 tsp dill weed

-Stick all of it in a pot, cover with water making sure that you have about an inch of water over the green beans.
-cook on medium to medium-low {you want it to bubble a little but not have a roiling boil}.
-Let them cook for about an hour, depending on how tender you like your green beans.

*Yes, I know this is extremely unhealthy with all the salt and butter, what do you expect, I'm southern! When I want to make it healthier, I just use stick margarine, Morton's Low-Sodium Salt, and low-fat or turkey bacon.

_____________________________________________

Creamy Tomato Basil Spaghetti Sauce
{Caroline's favorite, along with Michelle & several others!}

2 cans tomato paste
2-3 cups milk
1 tbsp. basil or a handful of fresh basil chopped
1 1/2 tsp. garlic or about 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. oregano
salt & pepper to taste

*add any other Italian seasoning you like...marjoram, fennel seed, sage...you get the idea!

-Put tomato paste in saucepan, heat on medium, stirring constantly. slowly add milk until you have the desired amount of sauce, if you need to add more, keep going!
-Stir until all the lumps are out of the paste
-Add olive oil, onion, and any fresh herbs you use {if you aren't using fresh, don't add anything else yet}
-Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes
-Add all the rest of your spices and sugar
-Let simmer for at least 20 minutes.

*Remember adjust any of the seasonings to taste if you need to, some people want less flavor, some want more :)


MckLinky Blog Hop

3 comments:

Proud Parents of Halainah Grace said...

YUMMY! I love anything with basil...can't wait to try that recipe!

Elyse said...

Sounds SO GOOD!! I can't wait to try it.
~Elyse

Laurie said...

Hey girl! Your recipes sound delicious! I bet my kids might eat green beans if I use your recipe! ha!:)