Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

13 January 2010

A New Chapter

Many people look forward to the New Year so they can make changes, move forward with plans, start fresh.  All great things.  I usually don't make resolutions, or make much of a big deal out of the beginning of a new year, but this time around, we're jumping in.  Tab has some big things changing, we all do.  He worked for the city for 15 years, only had 5 more till he retired...at the age of 41.  Of course, he planned on doing something different after he retired!  Last March some things changed, he was moved around, and promises were made to him that were never kept.  Needless to say, he's been unhappy for a while.  Back in the summer, we thought about him changing careers before he retired. 

When you've only been with a company for say 5 years, that's not such a big step, but only having 5 years till retirement...there's a lot to lose.  The city contributes to his 401k obviously, but municipalities don't only match 100%, they match 200%.  A lot to lose.  I know, I know, "money isn't everything", but when your future is depending on it, it makes a huge difference.

We have struggled with this so much over the past 6 months.  Not knowing what to do, what God's plan was for our family.  We've prayed about it, and then, when the possibility came up this summer for him to do something he loves, we really felt that God was leading where he wanted us to be.  After a month, things didn't work out, so we knew it wasn't the time.

All through October & November, things just kept on changing at work for Tab.  It was just getting to be so much.  He was on call every 2 weeks, for 2 weeks at a time.  Maintaining a decent sized city's 2 water plants is no small feat!  He was run down, and just so down in the dumps, it broke my heart.  I've always told him I would stand beside whatever decision he made, so you can only imagine my shock when he calls me on December 22nd, asking me what to do!  I was not quite prepared for it.  We decided it was best to just move on.  Start new.  So he resigned.  3 DAYS before Christmas!  Can we say WOW?

You ask what it is that he has a passion to do?  What are his plans? 
Prepare yourselves, it sounds a little crazy. 




He wants to drive a truck.  Yup, that's right...an 18 wheeler.  Holy Shenanigans!!!  I will never understand this.  He will be a 3rd generation "trucker".  His dad worked for years doing the same stuff Tab did with the city, then moved on to running huge projects as a foreman, and finally he wanted to drive.  I chalk it up to them being manly men!  LOL!  So we started looking into it.  I was shocked!  The benefits are amazing, the pay is great, and the opportunites are endless.  Not what I was expecting.  I guess I've always kind of been the snob when it came to a job like that.  You know, we all have a stereotype for certain things, and I certainly did with this.  But I think God has his own plans, and they are finally being brought to the forefront. 


This is going to be such a hard change for us.  Most of the time you have to have 1-2 years of over the road experience, and although Tab has had his CDL {Commercial Driver's License} for over 15 years, he has never had a continuous 1-2 years long haul driving.  So, he will be on the road for the first year or so.  Gone for 2 weeks at a time and then only home for a few days.  We all 3 hate that!  I'm not quite sure how I'm going to deal with this.  He got a job offer, and if all goes well, he will start February 2nd.  He's already passed all the tests, and is just waiting on his physical to check out a-ok.



Please pray for us.  This is going to be a long road to travel...literally.  I just can't even imagine what this will be like, I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it.  I'm incredibly sad, but I know this is something he really wants to do.  I just pray that this is God's will for us, and that He knows best.  But why does it have to be so hard?

4 comments:

Frugal Jen said...

Praying for your family during this transition. I about freaked when Josh told me he was going to leave his company and start his own business.

Congrats to him for following what he felt was right!

Courtney and the Boys said...

Wow...what a big change! My brother-in-law's family all were in the trucking business. His dad owned his own company and had 4 boys who all took part in the business. They are a very tight-knit family who learned to make it "work" and are still all very close with each other. You're right...I always looked at "truckers" in a certain way until I met my brother-in-law and his family - AMAZING people! And to think about their sacrifices so I could have certain conveniences.

Good for Tab for going after what he feels is right...I know you guys will make it work! Praying for you!!!! :)

Nicole said...

I just read an article in my Woman's Day magazine yesterday about supporting our spouses in their times of growth. Good stuff.

Three years ago, two months before Rick would receive his yearly $20,000 bonus, he felt God was calling him to quit his very good job. We had sold our house and were living in a dumpy rental getting ready to start building this house. His boss asked him to stay the two months to at least get his bonus he had earned. Rick said that he felt that delayed obedience was still disobedience. So, he walked away.

STRESSFUL!

But, because he took that act of obedience, he was available for a new opportunity that paid him almost $30,000 more a year. They called him because they heard he had quit. Had he not been available, they wouldn't have called him.

And we made back that $20,000 he lost in another miraculous way later.

When God calls, we should listen. Your family will be blessed by your obedience!

Nicole

Camily said...

What a big change for your family, but I truly believe that when you know you are supposed to do something, you are being led by God and it works out. He will make sure of that.

Praying for you!