Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

21 July 2011

Kids: They Come First


I know that there are a million views on parenting and believe me when I saw that I don't think any one way of parenting is the right way.  Especially not mine.  I have huge parenting flaws, I know!    I think we all do at some point in our parenting careers.  It's natural because we're human, we will make mistakes.

I think the thing that makes me the saddest as a parent is when I see people who put themselves before their kids, especially young kids.  I'm not saying your life takes a backseat by any means because it definitely shouldn't.  I saw something today that I fell in love with.



This really hit home for me.  I would love to be able to be there at any given moment for sweet Boog.  But I can't.  Unfortunately I have to work outside the home.  Not for a lack of trying to work from home, but because in this economy there just isn't any other choice.  I try to be there for her whenever possible, and for the most part, I do a pretty darn good job.  And she knows how much I love and adore her, so that makes the guilt not quite as bad.  

Summers are the hardest for me.  I can remember my childhood and how my parents were always there, in fact, I was and they were, very fortunate to be at home almost my whole "growing up" stage.  But summers, they were great.  We didn't travel, but we did things together all the time.  I just remember how I always felt so loved.  And that is what makes me guilty with my own daughter.  Will she ever feel like I didn't make time for her?

Now I know deep down that this isn't and won't be the case, but it still seeps into my thoughts.  I'm so lucky that for the most part hubby and I have very similar parenting views.  We both believe in spending lots of time with Boog.  We don't get a babysitter very often.  Like I can't even remember the last time we asked someone to watch her for us so we could go do something.  We do have the fortunate/unfortunate situation of her having divorced parents, so we make time for us when she is with her dad and step-mom.  This does make it easier to not have babysitters.  We also will rarely ever make plans to do something if she can't come with us.  Of course there are exceptions to this, but they are far and few between.

I guess the whole point of this post was simply to say:  spend time with your kids every chance you get.  If you're fortunate enough to be able to stay home with them, work from home, whatever you call it, do it. They are precious days and moments you may never have the chance to experience.  Take them while you can and enjoy every sweet moment with your kids, I promise you won't regret it!

No comments: