Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

21 October 2009

Death of the Pumpkin

Caroline loves to carve pumpkins {more like watch us do the carving}, and we put it off as long as we could!  She wants to start as soon as she sees pumpkins hit the stores, and she just doesn't understand that in the Texas weather, once you carve them, they don't last long!  So last night after dinner we got all the stuff out, covered the table with newspaper and got to work!  I usually don't carve one, I paint mine....and I'm in charge of digging through the pumpkin goo to fish out the seeds.  Tradition has me soaking, seasoning and baking pumpkin seeds, something my mother did every year...I can't ever remember her not doing this, and it was always one of my favorite treats!  Apparently, I passed the love for the pumpkin seeds onto Caroline who is almost as excited about them as she is about carving the pumpkins!  While Tab & Caroline carved away, I set out to make the seeds.  They're still soaking, I'll let you know how they turned out!





















7 comments:

Martha Jones said...

Those turned out awesome! Our pumpkins were stolen, so we had to buy the fake kind.:( You guys did a great job!

The Drama Mama said...

HOW FUN! And I L*O*V*E your pumpkins...you guys did awesome! Love ya, hun!

Lindsey said...

WOW! They look great! I haven't even gotten pumpkins yet!

Rebecca said...

hey alicia! now i'm all pumped to carve away and bake me some pumpkin seeds! i've never done that before but would love to try it. would you mind passing on the recipe? :)

Laurie said...

The pumpkins turned out great! Such a fun fall thing to do!!

Earth Mama Sarah said...

I like Tab's use of the drill... so how long are you supposed to soak the seeds? I thought you just washed, seasoned, and cooked... let me know asap because we are carving ours today! And, could you send me your method/recipe for making yogurt covered goodies? I should try to make my way up there for your holiday cooking party so I can get some tips! love you dearie

Earth Mama Sarah said...

oh, and can you do anything with all that goo? or is just for the compost?