Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

13 June 2014

Fun{ky} Filled Friday's


Summer brings new routines, lazy days, long nights and lots of time to create.  It brings different make-up routines and different summer scents.  Different hair.

In yesterday's post, I talked about how we add fun colors to our hair as soon as schools out for the summer.  Yes, that makes me the coolest mom around.  Or at least my kid and her friends think I am.  Or maybe that's just what they tell me.


We found this at Sally's Beauty if you have one near you.  Of course we've tried several other brands through the years, but hands down cost wise this one is the best.  Also, the colors are pretty vibrant, and so far wash and wear well.

I don't know about you, but in the summer heat, I hate the feel of make-up.  I like to use a good moisturizer, and light make-up.  It just feels better that way.  Right now, I'm using a new day/night cream that I really love.  It feels amazing, smells great and soaks in really quick, no heavy feeling at all.


I didn't include a source for this one, because really you can get it just about anywhere.

When I actually deem it necessary to put on make-up, I use this tinted moisturizer by Stila.  Best thing I've ever purchased beauty wise.



Now onto the DIY fun!  I love, love to create.  Call it DYI'ing, crafting, painting, creating, doesn't matter, I'm in.  We've had my parents dining room furniture in storage for quite awhile.  The plan was to eventually chalk paint it and then move it in the house.  I finally got a chance to start on it!

It took me a long time because I have to research the best tips, products etc.  Now I know there are a million Annie Sloan Chalk Paint fans out there, and I was too, but I also really love supporting small businesses.  I started researching and had just about decided I was gonna invest the money in Annie Sloan products until I stumbled on several horrible articles.  Everything from safety sheets on her products to pending lawsuits. Wowzers.  I then decided to look into a few more small businesses that make chalk, mineral, clay {whatever you want to call it} paints.  In the end, I decided there was too much nonsense in that world for me and I was just making my own.  Turns out, I'm pretty good at it.  I love the texture, the way it goes on, the coverage, and the finish was that perfect finish everyone raves about.

Here's my recipe:

1 quart paint {any brand color you like}
6-7 tablespoons of Plaster of Paris {most recipes I found called for less}
1-2 cups Water

Now on the water, this is really up to you.  Almost every recipe I found barely called for any, mostly about 2-3 tablespoons.  I found that this made the paint too thick, so I kept adding until I was happy with the consistency.  Basically, I added about 5 tablespoons, then poured the whole thing into a large mason jar, and then kept adding water.  If you use too much water, it's ok leave the top off and let it sit for a while, it'll thicken up.  And if you get it too thick, just add water.  Easy peasy.




I still have the buffet and the china cabinet to do, so it'll be several weeks before I get to post the finished results!

Ok, that's all I've got for today!  I'll leave you with the cutest pics of my girl.  We snuck away for a burger and shake.  It was good for my soul.


No comments: