Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

29 September 2010

Migraines at 7...Really?




I never would have guessed that my sweet, crazy, high energy 7 year old would have migraines!  But apparently she does.  Poor Caroline has been having headaches for the last 3-4 months {not quite 4 months} and we've been to the doctor 5 times, maybe 6...I can't keep up these days!  The time before last they told us that they think her migraines are brought on by allergies.  They put her on Flonase & Zyrtec for 3 weeks and told us to see how that worked.  After 3 weeks if she was still having the "headaches" they would send us to a pediatric neurologist.  Great!  It's been 2 weeks, and she's been back to the doctor...we still have to wait until the 3 weeks are up!

I just feel sooooo helpless!  Nothing seems to help once they start...not Motrin, Ibuprofen, nothing!  The only thing that seems to ease them are cold wash clothes that she puts on her head/face.  I feel so helpless.  I can't make them stop, and as a mommy, you want to make your kiddos feel better, but nothing I do seems to work.  Any advice friends?  I'm almost willing to try anything...within reason!  LOL!

I've had several friends on FB {Facebook} tell me that they too, or their kiddos, also suffer/ed from migraines!  Never would that have crossed my mind!  In fact, the 1st time that it was really bad, we were on our way to summer camp/work, when she told me that her head was hurting and that she was nauseous and then proceeded to get sick!  She's been pretty sick a few times, but when they hit, she is a totally different little girl!  Crying about everything, whiny, laying on the couch and begging for them to stop...what's a mom to do?  And I'll be honest, after the whole ITP thing, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to her health! 

And you know what?  I'm worn out!  I feel like I should be doing something else, but not quite sure what.  Please say a prayer for Caroline or a sweet thought!  I really just want to make her all better!  If you happwn to have any tricks up your sleeve, please let me know!  Thanks sweet friends!

3 comments:

Camily said...

Oh no! I can only imagine how you feel seeing your sweet baby girl in pain and having to WAIT to see a neurologist! That's terrible!
Poor Caroline! And poor YOU! I will definitely say a prayer. Maybe you could see if you could go ahead and make the neurology appt. now so that they can get you in asap and if the headaches stop, you could cancel it (or go anyway and tell them about what's been going on).
I don't have any experience with Migraines, but have heard how terrible they are. Thinking about you!

Lindsey said...

Poor girl! So sorry she is dealing with this-at such a young age too! I know an amazing neurologist in Richardson, so maybe you wanna make a road-trip? :) Hugs!

Laurie said...

I hate to hear that Caroline has been suffering with migraines of all things!! I get migraines occassionally and I try to take meds before my head actually hurts and the nausea comes on...my body gives me sign that one is coming..like my vision has rings around it,very faint. I don't know if that would work for a 7 year old or not or if she has any signs at all. Sending prayers your way!