Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

26 March 2010

The Art of Writing a Letter

Did you ever have a pen-pal?  A grandma you got letters from?  I did, but that was years ago.  I send out my Christmas cards like a good girl, but I don't sit down often enough and write a true letter.  I was raised by a mother who was from East Texas, and if you know anything about that area, it's a world of it's own.  Very proper and traditional, very southern.  As in, you are a lady and will act accordingly.  So, you can imagine, my mother was true to her roots in raising her kids.  I grew up in Dallas, but those East Texas rules still applied.  Thus, we wrote letters.  Along with many other things that we can save for a post another day :)

I used to love getting letters in the mail, still do, but oddly it never happens these days.  I was reading a post by a sweet friend Nicole, and she was talking about the same thing...whatever happened to good old fashioned letter writing?  Computers, cell phones...not that I'm complaining, I love to get emails, I love to get comments here.  But come on, you know you get super excited when you open the mailbox and see that hand written letter.



Most of us are old enough to remember those days.  But what about our kids?  Caroline is 7 and uses a computer all the time.  She even wants to text!  So after reading Nicole's post about deciding she would start writing a letter each week to her grandmother, I had a little brainstorm.  You'll have to bear with me here, I haven't worked out all the kinks yet!  I know Caroline loves to write little notes to us, and herself, but what about to a new friend?

I'm pretty sure most of my readers have kids, or maybe grandkids...I'm not really sure.  My thought is that we all get our kids together through writing.  I know some of them are quite little, but we could have them color a picture.  How neat would it be for our kids to get something special in the mail...especially from a friend!
Let me know if you would like to have your kids participate!

Details:

send me an email to ashee7896 {at} yahoo {dot} com with the following info:

          -child's name {if you feel more comfortable not giving it, that's fine!}

          -male or female

          -age

          -location {You do not need to tell me where you live!  A  major city close to you, and state is fine!}
          The purpose of this is only to try to get someone who doesn't live around you!

          -your email address

Once I see who would like to do this, then I will try to match kids up accordingly by age, gender, and location.  Then I will email each of you with the information and the parents email address and leave it up to you from there.  I know some people like to remain private with where they live, and I totally respect that!  This is why I am not asking for everyone's address!  I feel like that's best left for the kids/families who write to each other.

A couple of other thoughts...it doesn't matter how young or old your kids are.  Little ones can color a picture, older ones can write, exchange a photo of each other, draw something...it's up to them!  They can continue this for as long as they want, or just try it a few times...no pressure, just the chance to experience something "old school"!  I do think it would be really cool if we blogged about doing this, share what our kids think of it.  They may hate it!  LOL!!

If you have any other ideas or suggestions for this little project, please let me know!  I just came up with this on the fly, but thought it would be super fun!

Oh, and feel free to pass this along to other bloggy friends, or post about it and link to me.  It never hurts to see where something might go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you relize you have adds for blockbuster and netflix on the same site? yea im bored not much going on at loves trk stop in the middle of nowhere nebraska.

Earth Mama Sarah said...

OMG do you remember those Bop/teen magazines, and looking at the pen pal pages in the back? I wrote to friends in Australia and Greece who loved New Kids on the Block!!!! I know Ruby would love to be pen pals with Caroline! Love you!

Tim said...

Alicia,

I think this is a great idea! I will email you my daughters info now.

So great to come to your blog again. I had to take a little bloggy break to spend more time with the family. Im back now though.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Trina said...

What a fun idea! I'll email you.