Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

07 October 2014

A Letter to Caroline

Sweet girl.  Goodness, we've had a rough time lately.  You're growing up and finding out that life isn't always barbies and snow cones. 

God gave me the biggest blessing and job I'll ever have the day I became your mommy.  He has entrusted me to raise you, teach you and love you unconditionally.  Yes, that means even when we don't agree on things.  I take my job as your momma very seriously.  I want to raise you to love Jesus.  I want to raise you to be compassionate.  I want to raise you to be respectful.  I want all these and so much more for you.

I need you to know that I am not your friend.  I'm your momma.  I do things based on what I think is best for you.  Not what you think is best.  Get used to this my darling girl, it won't change anytime soon.  This doesn't mean that I can't be your friend, you can always come to me with anything, I promise.  But I'm not going to shirk my momma duties to be cool, so you'll like me.  I hope you'll like me because I am an amazing momma.  Even though there will be times you can't stand me.

Lately we butt heads every.single.day.  And it's hard on both of us.  I promise I understand what you're going through.  I remember 6th grade.  I remember the mean girls, the new friends, chores, pimples, the other girly stuff, homework and yes, boys.  I also know that your little life has been pretty easy up until this point.  And sweetheart, your growing up, you'll gain more responsibility and the more you whine about it, the more you'll get.

I was raised in a time where things were very different.  We weren't all winners, we got spankings.  Not like your generation at all where every one gets a trophy, and the most common punishment is asking what choice you could have made differently.  You will have consequences for your actions.  If you miss blocking a goal in your soccer game, well, then your team might lose.  I may ask you if you made a good choice, but I promise it will be followed by a punishment other than a stern talking to.  This isn't because I'm mean.  It's because I love you.  And in the real world, you're not all winners, and getting in trouble can be a lot worse than a spanking.

You see, what I teach you matters.  If I teach you that pouting till you get your way and you get to keep your precious iphone then, when you grow up and get a job, the first time you pout, your boss will not think it's cute and let your tardy slide.  If I teach you that a task is important, then you'll grow up and have respect for the job that you have and want to do great at that job.  Or at least that's my hope.

I want to teach you about Jesus, so that you know His love for you.  I want you to know that His light will make your light shine stronger and brighter.  That no matter what, He will always be with you, even when things are tough.  And I want you to know that His light shines through you and reaches others. 

I want to teach you to be a lady.  To respect yourself.  I want you to know your important and precious.  That you deserve to be loved and treated like a lady.  That boys are mean sometimes {and girls too} and I want you to know how to deal with those things.

I want you to be respectful.  No more eye rolling.  It makes me crazy.  I want you to value what I say, not count the seconds until I quit talking.   Seeing as your only 11, this might be hard, but no matter what we have to get through all this together.

Now, this whole letter may seem silly to you, but if we have more mornings where I'm screaming, your crying, phones are being thrown out of car windows, and I stop the car and get out walking...neither one of us will ever make it to the goal.  You'll cause me to be drinking in the corner while you Instagram my empty wine bottle. 

So lets work a little harder to be kinder and more patient with each other, ok?

Love,

Your Worn Out Momma


No comments: