Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

17 September 2009

Mommy Truths

Today is going to be a day of letting it all hang out. And I mean all of it! This is inspired by Jen and her post yesterday about keeping it real. There are times as moms that we slack in certain areas, lie to our sweet adoring children {you know you do}, and this is the time to spill it.

The fun part about this is that I really, really want to hear from you! What are your mommy truths?

Mine.....{little disclaimer here: this may get ugly. It may be way more than you ever wanted to know, and whatever you do, please don't report me!}

Some days, I just don't feel like fighting the good fight with Caroline. And I know, I'm the adult, and what I say goes...in a perfect world. So on the occasion, I let bath time slide. **GASP** Now I never let it go more than 1 missed bath, but sometimes, it would be so much easier. And there are days I let her leave the house looking like a ragamuffin child, embarrassing, but in a weak moment, true.

I have been known to lick my hand and clean her face or fix a stray hair.

Nine times out of ten I cook dinner from scratch, but when I'm just not in the mood, mmmmm yummy Chef Boy Ar Dee! But I did read somewhere that is actually not really all that bad.

There have been times I've pulled over on the side of the road because Caroline won't stop crying about having to go to the bathroom. Now this is only after I have tried to explain to her that there is no place to go, and if she can't wait to get home then she can te-te here. She always makes it home.

I come up with really creative lies about why we have the bedroom door locked...please tell me you do this too, and if so...what is your excuse? And to top that one...when asked by your innocent little angels what those noises were....would you mind telling me something to say other than mommy's back is hurting her!?!?!?

We'll just keep to this theme for a sec....ummm, ladies...what do you say when your good friend visits you each month? Caroline always wants to follow me to the bathroom, and when I won't let her she wants to know why. Of course I tried the "Mommy just needs to go alone" route, but she just doesn't by it. And then she wants to know what those things are under the sink...my response: Mommy band-aids. Which works just fine until she wants to know what the round {long skinny tube} band-aid is for. I still just blow that one off.

In a pinch, when the clothes are still in the wash and waiting to be dried, I have looked for her "cleanest" dirty clothes to stick her in, which really hasn't happened but a few times...but when we were at the beach I had to do this, so it's fresh on my mind.

So what do you have to confess to? There has to be something. Please tell me there's something!

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I can relate with the clothes thing...I too have rummaged through the kids dirty clothes to find something without a stain and then I iron it! Ta-dah all new!

April Kennedy said...

One bad mommy move....I've folded clothes while my kids are in the tub, old enough for me to yell every couple of minutes "you OK in there?" and they know to respond IMMEDIATELY!

Mommy truths.....I've smelt the milk and noticed just a slight "off smell" and when asked by the kids if it smelled Ok...I responded "yup..just fine!"

I told my kids when they were young that it was illegal to drive on the highway with the windows down so that they would quit playing with the window buttons. My 10 year old was embarrassed when she announced that law to a car full of kids her age!

And I never hid "that time of month" from my kids. Always been open and frank with them about it. In fact I have them run and get me my pantyliner when I'm in the front bathroom and need one from my master bathroom!

This was fun thanks! I'm going to do it on my blog tomorrow!

Ingrid said...

The door is locked because we are "sleeping in" (Saturday mornings) and any noises are laughing from a tickle fight!
(I'm Aprils' friend. She linked to your blog from hers. Great post!)

Earth Mama Sarah said...

oh, alicia, you're a mommy saint! I *could* list a bunch of my mommy truths, but we'll keep it simple: when Ruby was younger Aaron and I were known to, on occasion, put Ruby in the swing in front of a cartoon so we could "enjoy each other". Thanks for that swing by the way! ;-)

Camily said...

I can totally relate. Hilarious!

I was a couple of minutes late picking Matthew up from school last week, because I was blogging! Gasp!

And, as a side note to your post a couple of weeks ago when you took Caroline to the doctor, I took Molly today because she's been complaining that her bottom hurts. Yes, there. When I asked her what it felt like, she told me lightening strikes were coming out of her bottom. She's 2! How do you explain that symptom to the pediatrician???

Ms Perfect said...

How in the world did I find your blog??? I love it! LOL How old is your daughter? Since my oldest daughter is 6 I just told her that its a girl thing that will happen to her when God decides she's ready to start being a grown up. :) However, when she was a toddler, I had to bring her in the bathroom with me while we were in a department store, she saw my liner and said,"Mommy! You got a boo boo! I kiss it." AAAAAAH! I managed to keep her from helping my boo boo. LOL